Thursday 1 March 2012

Apathy

I hate apathy. But what's the point in moaning, eh? (Get it?)

I am going to avoid the obvious point that if we were all apathetic, nothing would ever get done.

Apathy simply drives me mad. I don't expect people to feel passionately about everything. In fact I don't expect people to care about much, but those people that don't care about anything make me want to snap their dispassionate necks. Phrase's like, "I don't care about it because there is nothing I can do about it", are perhaps the most frustrating. Just because it is something that is beyond your control doesn't mean that is something you shouldn't care about. This is generally the type of mentality that surrounds voting. Wouldn't it be great if you were allowed to punch someone square on the nose if they said they didn't vote because one vote doesn't make a difference? It almost winds me up as much when people say they don't vote because they don't like any of the parties. I don't think anyone particularly thinks any party sums up every opinion and hope that they have, but that isn't the point.

I don't wish to go on and on about this as I think the idea is simple enough, but I would like to share another side of apathy that drives me up the wall. Actually, I'm not sure if it is apathy or stupidity, I shall leave it to you decide for yourself, but when you ask someone for their opinion about something and they reply, "Oh, I've never thought about it." That's fine and, in fairness, I didn't ask if you had. Now, I have given you a topic, I would like you to give an opinion about, think about it now and form one. If it is something you know nothing about, admit it and either I can inform you, or we can go find more information.  Not giving an opinion because you can't be bothered thinking isn't a good enough reason.

Maybe I have got this all wrong, maybe apathy is the way forward and we should all just sit in our dilapidated homes, in our grimy sofas watching broken TV's, drooling. 
Actually that just looks like a good night in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment